Sunday 30 December 2012

More from Peter....

Faith versus hope.
 
I used to be pretty certain that I knew the difference between these two words. Faith is believing in something you know to be true but can't necessarily prove it. Hope is just wishing for something - like I hope to win the lottery,  however lately I feel like my faith has turned to hope. I hope there is a God, I hope Jacqui’s surgery goes well. When I try to analyze why I am feeling this way, I guess I am just not as certain as I once was, about anything. I think for the most part I was living in a fantasy world, living my life with really no major tragedies or problems. When something does happen you assume things will work out the way you want them to and when they don’t, then what? Bad things happen all the time, to everyone, really, that is life. It basically comes down to how you are going to handle it when the going gets tough.

In the movie, Signs (I know it has Mel Gibson in it but still a good flick) he gives this speech to his brother (for you movie buffs out there, I altered it slightly and took out the reference to the spaceships) He says to his brother:
 
“People break down into two groups when they experience something lucky.
Group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them.
Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. For them, the situation is fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear.
Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in the Group number one, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope.
See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky?
Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?”

Does Jacqui have cancer for a reason? is there a message of hope that she is living out?  Am I too close to see it or am I refusing to look for it. I know she is an inspiration to some, (myself included) probably more than we will know and probably more of one than if she had been living her life as I would have planned out for her

I need to look at the positives, yes Jacqui has cancer, again, but the upside is we still have her and we still have a fighting chance to beat this effing disease. Hope. Some aren’t given a chance to fight, they lose their life in an accident or some terrible way, and they are gone. I would think that would be so much more difficult to handle as there is no hope in that case. 

I have people saying to me that they can’t imagine how they could handle the situation we are in and to be honest, there are some days where I don’t think I can handle it and yet life continues, your job still brings you to work each day, you continue to breath, eat, live and sleep (sleep is more difficult but may be overrated too) you continue to function even when things seem less important, less meaningful, you continue to live your life and try to remain hopeful. And really, no matter how bad you think things are there really are people living through way more difficult situations then the one you are in.

So this holiday season, all I really want is to put hope in my faith and faith in my hope. I really want to be in that first group and see the signs and evidence that there is someone up there watching out for us.



3 comments:

  1. Deep thoughts Peter !

    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    My best friend Peer died of leukemia when he was in his early 30's, in the early 1990's. We were good friends in Munich from about 83-86, then traveled to Canada together in 1986. I ended up in Edmonton and met Lynda and stayed here (unplanned, by me anyway) , but he went back and was supposed to finish his Computer Science degree just like I did 6 months prior. He was then diagnosed with leukemia, but progressively got worse and he eventually died 4 years later.

    This was the first time in my life someone very close to me had a major life event that ended in death. I started to question life, and since I had no faith at the time (although raised a nominal Lutheran I had left church in my late teens as BS) .. and started looking into religion more, such as Buddism, Zen, .. and also in the Bible more, and came to the realization that Jesus is either the best con man ever .. or it is true.

    So Jackie's cancer at such a young age, however it'll pan out, will give a lot of people strength and hope and joy. We just don't know, and can only find hope in God and not our own accomplishments (even if we think we are so great and work so hard and deserve to be lucky)

    From the Book of John: Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it

    The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.
    ..
    I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.

    May you find hope in God, Peter (and not in your career at CP rail, perhaps shorted or even sweetened by the new CEO, or your kids or your wife or other life's little joys) !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter,
    Thank you for your honest thoughts. I've grappled with these things and continue to do so. In fact some days I have more questions than answers. I do however agree with the biblical writers who interestingly used the word "hope" frequently, but it meant far different than our 'wishing'. When they speak of hope such as the hope of heaven, they talk about something 100% guaranteed because God has promised it. It's easy to give into the fastest growing religion in North America 'cynacism', or one can find hope/love/faith in the midst of the pain. God is never easy to find and those who find him quickly, maybe haven't found God. I'm praying Romans 15:13 for your family. Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your insights and reflections Peter.

    ReplyDelete