Monday 17 March 2014

Worn

Round Two:  

Well after a few short (very short) days of feeling pretty good, but tired, Jacqui goes back in for her second round of chemo tomorrow.

We weren't sure if she would be strong enough or that her white blood count would be up enough for her to start again this week, but all seems okay, so here we go again.  It's really hard to start this again, I can see by Jacqui's face that it's just so much - too much.  We don't know how this round will go, but know from past experience that it just gets a little harder each time.  

But there are a few changes this time:
  • First of all she is going to be admitted to the hospital, which is good - in that she doesn't have to travel back and forth each day and bad - because she doesn't want to have to stay in the hospital again
  • they are going to reduce the dosage a bit because of how hard it was on her body
  • they will give it to her more slowly, but continuously over a 24 hr (or so) period - it's usually 3-8 hour days - this is good because she won't have to have the IV re-inserted every morning, which can get really difficult as the weeks go by
She will be in for 2-3 days depending on how she responds to everything and then home to recover again.  It all just makes her feel tired and sad, and yet you wouldn't know it to see her, that spark just always keeps shining so bright! 

There is a song that I heard the other day called "Worn" by 10th Avenue North and it describes very well how we're feeling right now....


I'm Tired I'm worn
My heart is heavy
From the work it takes
To keep on breathing
I've made mistakes
I've let my hope fail
My soul feels crushed
By the weight of this world
And I know that you can give me rest
So I cry out with all that I have left
Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That you can mend a heart
That's frail and torn
I wanna know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that's dead inside can be reborn
Cause I'm worn
I know I need to lift my eyes up
But I'm too weak
Life just won't let up
And I know that you can give me rest
So I cry out with all that I have left
Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That you can mend a heart
That's frail and torn
I wanna know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that's dead inside can be reborn
Cause I'm worn
My prayers are wearing thin
Yeah, I'm worn
Even before the day begins
Yeah, I'm worn
I've lost my will to fight
I'm worn
So, heaven come and flood my eyes
Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That you can mend a heart
That's frail and torn
I wanna know a song can rise
From the ashes of a broken life
And all that's dead inside can be reborn
Cause all that's dead inside will be reborn
Though I'm worn
Yeah I'm worn

2 comments:

  1. I havnt listened to the song yet but I will.I find songs helpful to sort stuff,They carry me through moments.And in reference to sons of anarchy..I started watching strike back.Gary used to watch it and I couldn't at the time,but am now.there are good lines in it.THere was one the other day where two soldiers were talking. One had been dealing with some emotional stuff and the other asks how he is.He says fine ,'Ive just got to sort my f@#$%$#@ life out.' The other says 'I'll give you a minute.'.I was thinking its a bit like chemo. It comes around quick and you dont too much space to figure out the best plan as it changes all the time. While in chemo, Gary had a vision of his grandfather in the first world war and of him being gassed.Turns out the chemo drug is the same stuff.Made me think of all the language used in around cancer.It is a battle to get through chemo and it does become harder. Serious spiritual battle armour needed..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, the same stuff - wow - crazy what we need to do to "get well" You are so right about the plan changing all the time - you just don't know what's next, someone was asking last night - after this next round and the CT scan, will it be more chemo or radiation or surgery? - and we just said, who knows - it can change from week to week or day to day. Each action causes a reaction to which we react with another action - haha. have you listened to the song yet - do, it's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete