Thursday 10 January 2013

Lets talk about something else

Dear Friends and Family

My Mom has been so great about keeping the blog up to date and I wanted to add my own voice to it. First of all Thank you. Thank you for your interest in my story. Thank you for your prayers, for all the positive energy you sent my way. You make me brave. I am so happy to be home, my mom and dad are great caregivers. Mom and I have been enjoying lounging and watching shows as well as entertaining!. My mom has given you all the particulars about what happened in the hospital and what is to happen next, so lets talk about something else.
In my recovery, breathing is a big deal. I have to be conscious of taking deep breaths. The night before my surgery I was searching Itunes for some new music and I looked at an artist I had found months earlier, Ingrid Michaelson, and I found a song called "Keep Breathing". She repeats "All we can do is keep breathing now". I repeated this to myself many times before and after my surgery especially when I was scared. This song gave me a lot of strength. No it was not a bible verse or a hillsong united song but I believe God helped me stumble upon that song, a little hipster diddy about breathing, and it comforted me during those scary days.
I didn't look at my bible too much before going into surgery but the one time I did I googled "verses for dealing with cancer" and it gave me a verse in Romans. I took out my Nana's little red bible to look it up and discovered she had already highlighted those verses. That was a surprising and encouraging moment. My Nana was such a faithful woman and to know I was finding comfort in something she had found special meant a lot to me.
Now that it is all over I am dealing with pain control and reminding myself that I need to relax. It is hard to be at home and be constrained to my bed or the couch, but when I try to do more I notice how tired I become. I am trying to decide on some creative projects to keep myself busy. Overall I feel happy, I hope that this is it. I will be downright pissed if it comes back, and I know you will be too.
I am very happy to be home, a little afraid that I will get bored over the next couple of months but so far I have had many visitors and even more promised visitors for the rest of the week. Please keep calling, please keep coming over!
Thank you so much for your interest in me and my family.
My mom is pretty good at this stuff hey? and what about those posts from my Dad? Tears!
Thank you for the kind notes, for the meals, for the little presents, and for those of you who pray at home, both the public and private gestures are equally treasured!

Thank you!
Love,
Jacqui

2 comments:

  1. JACQUI - We don't know each other well, but a few things brought me to 'your family's fight'. First your Auntie Jill is one of my best friends and through her talking about your issues around Kristi's wedding and then again recently, I've become fully invested. Second, you're what my Mom would have called a very PLUCKY girl. Got Sass, got vitality and got determination. I know those are qualities one needs when dealing with the C word. From my own experience, I know this. Thirdly, I know your Mom and Dad a bit and feel that they deserve nothing but the good things in life, because they GIVE so much and LOVE so hard - you and Tyler are their beloved kids upon whom several stars shine. Sooo with all that, I feel like I know you a bit.
    You gone through the worst of it, the surgery looks to have been a clear success and now it's on to the decide and choose the way you'll carry on with healing and your new style of breathing. A friend of mine had something similar in her 30's. She was a runner, so it was literally devasating for her to have to cut that out. In one year and a few tears, she struggled to run 1/2 a mile. She did it and continued to do it until she was doing her normal 2 miles every other day. New lease on life , she said. So I know you will find it super slow at first, but with that pluckiness and screw you..I'm going do this attitude, you too will live YOUR life.
    I have always loved your parents' crazy sense of humour and am sure it's a huge part of them getting themselves through a horrifying journey. Jill is a great source of that for me and I love to here about family get togethers. Y'all have some major and quirky Fun!!
    So have visitors....laugh...practice the breathing techniques a ton. I shall be keeping the good vibes going...out to the universe for improvement day after day.

    And p.s. - I too am glad JT will be making more music!

    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi - so amazing. Thanks do much for your encouraging thots !!! Especially because you know...

    ReplyDelete