Tuesday 25 February 2014

You're gonna hear me roar....

 
Did you know that the Serenity Prayer has a second part?  Well this is it:

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right

So yesterday was pretty much as we expected.   Chemo was the best option of a few awful options.

On an early episode of Sons of Anarchy (no judging please-but I did have to stop watching it - too much for this girl)  a guy had kept a club tattoo on his back after he had been kicked out of the club.  This was not allowed and the "Sons" gave him the option of "Torch" or "Sander" meaning they would either burn it off with a torch or sand it off with a sander.  That's kind of how I felt yesterday - we chose torch....
 
It will be a higher dose of one of the chemo drugs used in the "cocktail" last time - Ifosfamide - used on it's own, in a larger dosage, it's been quite effective in treatment of Synovial Sarcoma.   
 
So it starts tomorrow. 
 
3 rounds (cycles) to start after which they will do another CT scan to see how the tumor is responding, assess how she is responding and then possibly do up to 3 more. 
 
Each round consists of: 
Week one:  Monday - Blood test (to make sure her blood levels are sufficient to receive the chemo) and appointment with the medical staff and then Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - 6 hours a day minimum.  She will come home in the evenings as long as she can handle it, otherwise they'll keep her in for the 3 days.
Weeks 2 & 3:  recovery
 
Repeat
 
And the side effects - it's like reading a horror story - but of course right now the worst and most noticeable for her is loosing her hair again - her beautiful hair. 
 
Have I mentioned that this is exhausting - I know I have but it still is. And although we are hopeful and want to be optimistic, sometimes the losses add up and it's just plain hard to feel positive and relate to that prayer at the start of this entry - it's a fight - not a very fair fight.  So here's a song that Jacqui's been singing a lot these last few months and if you know her at all - some of the images will make you laugh because it's just so her (especially the roaring part) -  
 
I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
So I sit quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
I let you push me past the breaking point
I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything

You held me down, but I got up
Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, your hear that sound
Like thunder, gonna shake the ground
You held me down, but I got up
Get ready cause I’ve had enough
I see it all, I see it now
 
Now I’m floatin like a butterfly
Stinging like a bee I earned my stripes
I went from zero, to my own hero

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion
Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar

 



 

4 comments:

  1. I agree it doesn't seem like a fair fight, but we all are behind you guys and pray every day for all of you. -Kelly H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please be buoyed by the fact that so many people are rooting for jacqui and have strong faith in her ability to once again fight hard and come out on top. Thinking of you all and wishing you continued strength in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling Carol, it is so utterly utterly exhausting.I hear you xxx

    ReplyDelete