Saturday 2 May 2015

Life is Not too Short

Life is Not Too Short 
by Jacqueline Warner



People always say “life is too short” or “live today like it is your last day” and so on.
Those phrases are meant to be encouraging but since I was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 I have struggled with them.

Your life is exactly as long as it is suppose to be. Call me a Christian, and a believer in fate or destiny, but I feel this to be true.

Your life is as long as it is suppose to be.

The idea that “life is too short” tends to mock all of your accomplishments. It tells you that all the concerts you saw, the trips you took, and experiences you had were not enough. This is simply not true.

My life will not last too much longer.

Yes there are things I have not had the pleasure of doing but there is so much that I have done!
“Live each day like it is your last” is also silly because on a daily basis you cannot be on the beach or at Disneyland. You have to be at work, you have to be helping people, cleaning the house, or just resting at home. Some days will be “boring”. I rest a lot.

Stop making your life a race to accomplish everything and instead appreciate everything that you do accomplish.

Maybe that is all those phrases ever meant to say but I always found them to be mocking me.
“Do more! See More! It’s not enough! Why haven’t you tried this yet? Hurry!”

Your life is exactly as long as it is ever suppose to be.  Rest in that. What I have never done is done, cut by the sharp knife of a short life.

I did everything I could do with my time and it is Good!

4 comments:

  1. Dear sweet Jacqueline. Your insights and wisdom are profound. And no matter how long or short you live, and no matter that it may always feel to the rest of us that your life was too short, this peek into your brilliant soul is a gift. The universe and the divine are mysterious and unpredictable; accepting mystery is everything. I keep learning from you, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said girl. You've inspired me so much by how you've lived your life. Thanks for sharing this. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this and sharing it. It is such an encouragement to hear, especially coming from you right now, I don't really have words to say how much this impacted me to read. I'm going to save this particular blog as a bookmark so that I can come back and read it again in the times when I'm feeling especially low, or frustrated by my situation.
    I will continue to pray that God will be enough to sustain you and your friends and family, and that He will continue to do his work on this earth through you all the days of your life until He calls you home to him.
    I know you will be missed here, but I am glad to know you will finally be home for real when you are gone from here. I look forward to the day He calls us all to be with him. Who knows, it could happen tomorrow!
    I bet those angels will put on a concert more incredible and moving than anything we could ever imagine here! ;) If you get the chance, send us some inspiration to keep things lively down here while we all wait our turn to join the party.
    Thank you for your faith, thank you for your love, thank you for the life you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqui... you are spot on dear... I pray for you often and especially for your family to be comforted. You are brave, inspirational and real. I don't pretend to know or understand God's plan, merely trusting that he does have one and we are all a part of it. As I've watched your journey I am humbly thankful that God has allowed me to know you...

    ReplyDelete